Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Tweet Fiction: To Love Is To Sacrifice


Full Story:


  I was warned that she was out of her mind. Insane, my friends called her. Not right in the head, said my mother. Run, said one of her exes. To me, though, I could only see the beautiful woman, eyes shining with insight and heart full of whimsy, that I fell in love with. My falling for her was not a subtle or gradual thing. Before her, I did not believe in love at first sight, but when our eyes locked from across that crowded bar for the first time, I knew it to be true. Now I look at those who don't believe sadly, as they've never met someone who's soul resonates so completely with their own. 

     Love can be dangerous, but that's what makes it exciting. It's what led me to the interesting predicament I'm in now. On one of our first dates I mentioned that my heart was hers completely, that's how hard I had fallen for her, and her face lit up. The smile she gave me was the brightest and most beautiful I had ever seen. Even now that I'm on this table I think back on that smile, to the way it made me feel, and it helps get me through the rougher parts of this whole ordeal. I'll never regret helping create that smile, but I do have some regrets about the phrasing I used. 

     Footsteps echoed in the hallway outside of the near-empty room I was in. She was finally returning! I turned my head towards the door best I could, but this was difficult to do while still strapped down to the hard metal table. 

    After a few moments of listening to the sound of hard-sole shoes clack tile as she grew closer and closer, she finally pushed through the swinging double doors and into the room. She was in her lab-coat, as she had been for the last week or so since we came here, perfectly white except for the occasional dull red stain. Stained by my blood probably. An unfortunate, but likely unavoidable, accident. I still felt a bit bad about it, after seeing her I couldn't help but smile.

     She was beaming as she entered the room, lighting up the otherwise dim room with her infectious smile. In her arms was a clear glass jar, but the contents were hidden as she held in her arms tightly against her chest. There was even a slight skip to her step, causing her frizzled blond hair to bounce as she made her way to the center of the room where I lay.

     "Hello, my love." I rasped out. My throat had been killing me for the past few days, making it painful to speak. "What do you have there? Must be something nice to put such a hop in your step."

     She giggled sweetly in response, smile reaching her brilliant blue eyes that as always were opened wide to take in the world around her, but looking at only me.  She said nothing until she reached my bedside. "Oh, you know what it is, silly. It's your gift to me, remember? I had to prepare it to be displayed!"

     For a split second I panicked, as I couldn't remember buying her anything during my time here. It would be incredibly difficult to buy something while tied down like this. Then I remembered. The present wasn't something I bought. My present was far more intimate than that, something that I had for awhile. I glanced down and saw bandages wrapped tightly around my chest with apparent care. They were turning a light red as the bleeding from incision site began to soak through. Along with the bandages were various tubes and wires poking out of my chest and into an array of machines at my side. 

     "Ta-da!" She exclaimed excitedly as she extended her arms and held the glass jar out for me to see. Inside the jar was my heart, suspended in an impressively transparent liquid. A perfectionist as always. It's likely she'd been working on cleaning and making the heart and jar just perfect, no excess blood tinting the liquid red or any other sort of imperfections would be allowed by her standards. Just one more thing that I loved about her.

     "It looks absolutely wonderful, love." I croaked out, trying to make my failing voice reflect the happiness I felt upon seeing her proud and triumphant smile. "I'm glad you like my gift, I hope it makes you as happy as you make me." 

     She danced around the room with the heart, face slightly flushed and beaming that wonderful smile of hers. Then once her dance was done she twirled over to a bare table nearby and carefully set the heart down, looking at it from various angles and rotating it a few degrees to make sure it looked perfect. Once she was satisfied she twirled back over to the table, her open lab coat billowing out around around her. She bounced in place after stopping at my side again.

     "Now it's time for my gift to you!" She exclaimed excitedly. "I'd absolutely love to gift my heart to you," she said, her brow furrowing in frustration, "but figuring out how to remove my own heart out and prepare it while hooked up to those same machines you're currently using seems to be impossible." She continued, my heart breaking as she sounded sad about being unable to figure out how the operation would work. Not literally of course, my heart still sat comfortably in the jar over on the table.

     "Instead, I've decided to make a new heart for you!" She exclaimed, bouncing in excitement with hands clasped over her chest. "With everyone planned out just right and if I know your body well, which you know I do," she smirked and touched my arm lightly as she continued, "then this heart will work even better than the old one!" 

     She gestured wildly as she explained what exactly would go into my new heart. While I didn't completely understand everything she was talking about, I could tell she was incredibly excited and optimistic about it, so I began to feel the same way. As much as I loved spending all this time with her in this room, I would love to be mobile again. To be able to pick her up and squeeze her tight and shower her with affection. With her gift I should be able to do just that after a spell.

     "Now, you wait here!" She said as she finished talking about the heart. "I still have so much work to do to get it ready for you. Anything other than perfection for my love is unacceptable." She then began to skip back out of the room, radiating happiness as she went. Just as she got to the door she spun and blew me a kiss, then disappeared beyond the doorway. Off to one of her research and development stations, no doubt.

     I found my gaze once again resting on the heart in the jar, my heart, and I couldn't help but smile as my thoughts drifted back to her. 



     "A small sacrifice for my love."




Original Tweet:                (source)

His heart was hers. He could do nothing. He knew how it would end but there was no taking it back. It sat on the mantle in a clear glass jar.






No comments:

Post a Comment